Frosty fruity treats to beat the summer heat.
Chilled fresh and fruity plums, peaches and nectarines are excellent for cooling down
on a hot summer’s day. Besides packing a low-calorie nutritious punch, these stone
fruit are incredibly versatile and delicious. They are great on their own straight from
the fridge and make the most refreshing frozen treats.
Jam-packed with frosty flavour, Chef Jenny Morris puts plums to good use with her
revitalising frozen plum lollies that are loaded with yummy goodness.
With peaches in peak season, try your hand at Jenny’s frozen peach & yoghurt
shake that captures the flavours of summer in a glass. Jenny suggests pouring the
peach shake into a flask for your child to enjoy perfectly chilled at school.
Plums, peaches and nectarines are naturally sweet super fruit with a low glycaemic
index (GI). They are high in fibre and abound in health-giving potassium and
vitamins A, C and E, all-powerful antioxidants that protect against disease and help
to build healthy minds and bodies.
Stone fruit are at their most satisfying when enjoyed perfectly ripe. Be sure to test
the fruit for optimal ripeness by lightly pressing the skin. If still firm to the touch, allow
them to ripen in a fruit bowl or place them in a pierced paper bag at room
temperature. Only keep the fruit in the fridge once completely ripe to safeguard their
sweet, juicy flavour.
Feel inspired by following @juicydelicioussa on Instagram or visit
www.juicydelicious.co.za for more tempting stone fruit recipes.
Frozen Plum Lollies
By Jenny Morris
8 fat plums
½ cup raw honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 cups natural yoghurt
1. Cut a cross into the base of each plum and plunge into boiling water, remove with
a slotted spoon. Peel off the skins and remove the flesh from the stone.
2. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake holders.
3. Blend the plum flesh, honey, vanilla extract and yoghurt in a food processor until
4. Taste and add a little more honey if to tart.
5. Divide the mixture between the muffin holes and freeze till firm.
6. When almost firm insert a lolly stick into each one. (Sticks are available at
Mambos or Checkers)
Frozen Peach & Yoghurt Shake
By Jenny Morris
2 cups vanilla ice cream.
1 banana sliced and frozen
1½ cups chopped and frozen dessert peaches
1 cup Greek yoghurt
1. Remove the frozen fruit from the freezer and place it in a blender with the
2. Blend until smooth, pour into glasses and garnish with fresh mint.