Recipe of the day: Classic Flammkuchen Recipe from Constantia Glen.
Flammkuchen dough recipe (makes 4)
· 500g white bread flour
· 7g salt
· 320ml warm water
· A little olive oil
Traditional Flammkuchen topping
· 12 strips of bacon, cut into small squares or cubes
· 2 onions, finely sliced into rings
· 250g crème fraîche (or sour cream)
· 230g natural Greek Yoghurt
· 1 tsp nutmeg
· 3/4 tsp salt
· 5 leeks, chopped
· Freshly ground black pepper
· Fresh thyme (optional)
How to make Flammkuchen
1. Combine all dough recipe ingredients in a large bowl to form a rough dough.
2. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until you have a smooth, elastic, stretchy and
3. Place the dough back into your bowl and cover with a lid.
4. Leave to rest for 2 – 4 hours at room temperature (or overnight in the fridge).
5. Preheat the oven and a baking tray to 250°C (the highest temperature possible) 30 minutes before the bake. If you have a pizza stone, preheat the oven and the pizza stone 1 hour before.
6. Divide the dough into 4 parts (8 parts for smaller sized Flammkuchen).
7. Shape each part into a ball and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
8. Combine the crème fraîche and yoghurt in a small bowl, add the nutmeg, salt and
pepper and mix well.
9. Roll out the dough pieces (2-3 mm) and transfer to baking sheets.
10. Leave to rest for 15 minutes.
11. Fry the bacon strips briefly until almost cooked, don’t let them get crispy.
12. Fry the onion rings and leeks in the same pan until slightly browned.
13. If you are making all 4 Flammkuchen but baking only one at a time, don’t add the topping to all of them at once.
14. Evenly and generously spread the cream mixture onto the base, leave a small border around the edge (this will turn golden-brown and crispy).
15. Scatter the onion rings and bacon on top and sprinkle with thyme.
16. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the edges are nicely browned and the bottom is crisp.
17. Serve immediately
Constantia Glen Sauvignon Blanc is available at a cellar door price of R195. For online wine purchases visit https://www.constantiaglen.com/order-wine/ .
The Constantia Glen tasting room is open from Mondays to Thursdays between 10h00 and 17h00, Fridays and Sundays 10h00 until 18h00 and Saturdays 10h00 until 20h00. Book via http://www.constantiaglen.com to avoid disappointment.
Follow the conversation online: