Smirnoff 1818’s Shaya Ingoma competition for local female DJs extended to 2022.
South Africa’s number 1 vodka brand, Smirnoff 1818, has extended the deadline for entries into its female DJ search competition - Shaya Ingoma, launched in October 2021. Now, local female DJs (disc jockeys) have until Monday, 14 February 2022, to enter the Smirnoff 1818 Shaya Ingoma competition. The competition was initially going to end in November, however the sheer level of talent that has entered already inspired Smirnoff 1818 to give more up-and-coming DJs the opportunity to participate by extending the closing date to 14 February 2022.
While the female DJ landscape in South Africa is on the rise, according to the FUSION 2021 Interim Modelled Update research there is still a wide gender gap within this sphere of the music industry, and it’s clear that it is not because of any lack of talent. The barriers to entry for women are deeply entrenched, making it much harder for women to break through this male-dominated industry. Several factors contribute to these barriers, such as biases due to false gender perceptions relating to women’s ability to operate and succeed in a male-dominated industry, limited access to DJing equipment, and means to upskill their DJing careers. The platform calls on all up-and-coming female DJs nationwide to enter the first-for-the-brand female DJ search.
“Female DJs have been growing significantly in the last few months. We have seen many talented DJs dominate the industry and, as a catalyst for change, Smirnoff 1818 has extended entries to Shaya Ingoma to allow more skilled and talented female DJs to enter,” Gregory Tabane, Head of White Spirits at Diageo says.
Through Shaya Ingoma, Smirnoff 1818 aims to narrow the gender gap and shine a light on some talented upcoming female DJs. This empowerment platform will be focused on unearthing, promoting and offering multiple opportunities for upcoming female DJs in Mzansi to showcase their skills, get the recognition they deserve, and receive sufficient support in the pursuit of their DJing career aspirations.
From the countrywide search, the top 10 finalists will be chosen to battle it out for the top spot and get the Smirnoff 1818 Shaya Ingoma FDJ crown. The top winner of the competition will receive a life-changing prize including R100 000 in cash and a trip to the value of R200 000. The remaining top 9 will receive a share of R450 000 in cash to help elevate their craft and widen their DJing skillsets.
HOW TO ENTER and stand a chance to win:
1. Female DJs to create a DJ mix that is a maximum of 3 minutes, and consists of a minimum of 6 tracks, each of which must feature for a maximum of 30 seconds;
3. To increase their chances, participants will have to drive public engagement on social media through likes, comments, reposts and reshares on the track/s submitted.
4. Terms and Conditions apply, which can be found on www.shayaingoma1818.co.za
The grand prize winner stands to win the following:
• R100 000 in cash
• A trip to the International Music Summit in Ibiza to the value of R200 000
• 3-month residency with a South African national radio station
• Spotify playlist
• 2 months of direct PR profiling
• Main slot in Shaya Ingoma Music Activations in 2022
• Opportunities to DJ at Smirnoff 2022 events
• The title of “Smirnoff Shaya Ingoma FDJ Winner”
The 9 remaining finalists stand to each win the following:
• R50 000 in cash
• 15-minute sets on one of South Africa’s national radio station
• Spotify playlist
• 2 months of PR profiling
• Shaya Ingoma Chesa Nyama Activations and Battle Sets
• Opportunities to DJ at the Consumer House Parties and Smirnoff 2022 events
Not for persons under the age of 18. Drink responsibly
About Smirnoff 1818
One of the bestselling spirit brands in the world, Smirnoff 1818 is distilled from the finest spirits and uniquely filtered and is a widely popular vodka with a crisp, clean taste.